Music Video




In video class this semester, we kicked the year off with a music video project. Above is the final product (minus re-edits of the video because of copyright issues). I was in a team with my classmates John, Maddie, and Kevin.

The song we chose was Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper. We chose this song because of it's fun-centered theme, and the eighties aesthetic that the original music video had. My team attempted to take a more modern approach to the video, still using an eighties-esque costume types and the original music, but using a younger cast that included men and used modern technology. We maintained the story of the song, taking a few artistic liberties with our shots.

Our filming process was a bit cluttered towards the end. We created storyboards and a shot-by-shot breakdown of the video, based off the original music video, and made a beat sheet to show which arts of the song went along with each shot. We assigned roles for a Director, Art Director, Casting Manager, Cinematographer, Location Scout, Hair and Makeup, and an Editor. We began working on January fourth, when we came back from winter break, and completed the project on February first.

For this project, I was the Art Director, and I was also in charge of hair and makeup. My job was to maintain the artistic integrity of the video and the story, and to be in charge of costumes and hair (we did not do much makeup).  I learned that I should try to focus mainly on my assigned roles, as opposed to trying to take over the whole project like I did this time. I also learned that storyboards are very helpful during actual filming. I filmed the clips of various friends on the phone with our main actress, Kate. Professionally I learned that collaboration is a very big deal, and when people refuse to help, it is frustrating and effects the entire team and video. I tried to communicate and lead to the best of my abilities.

If I could do anything different, I would most likely try not to shove all of the filming into one day, and I would communicate with my actors better. I would also probably try not to assign blame for the team's downfall. I would keep the actors the same, and keep the story the same.

Anyways thanks for coming to my ted talk

Comments

Popular Posts