Semester One and Done ✧*。٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و✧*。

Semester One and Done

  We're finally nearing the holidays this year and you know what that means! That's right, it's time for another episode of "Final Exam Blogposts," your favorite showcase of student films hosted by yours truly. Last year, I'm pretty sure I wrote my longest blog post to date. I'm not usually one for wordiness, and seeing as I usually dread making these posts, it's pretty funny to go back and look at my Junior year post in which I was full of energy and, it seems, some pent up aggression. We'll see how the cookie crumbles with this one.

  In this past semester, my classmates and I have worked diligently to create beautiful, elevated pieces of art. We have made a video showcasing the six shot system, a commercial, a film reel, a website, and, most recently, a short film. I am incredibly proud of the work that has come from my Senior year so far, and I hope that you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Good Old Boston


  I'm going to start out with the video that I am most proud of. This year, my short film script was able to actually be created, produced, and put into the format that it was made for. This film is incredibly close to my heart, as it portrays a young Jew struggling to maintain her identity in a place where there are is only one other Jewish person. It's a tale of high emotions, friendship, self-discovery, and community, and it's one I'm incredibly proud of.

  The group that worked with me to make this amazing piece was made up of some fresh faces, as well as some familiar ones. I worked, as usual, with the lovely and talented Sophia Saunders as my co-director and emotional support system. I was incredibly honored that she believed in my script, and even more honored to be able to have worked with her. I know she's going to go on to do amazing work. This year I was also joined by three amazing Juniors: Alexis Parrott, Asya Leavitt, and Avra Spake. Asya plays the main character, Avigail Cabot, and was also my art director. She provided locations, costumes, bread, and most importantly, love! I met her when she was a Freshman and I am very proud of how she's grown and improved. She is a wonderful, kind, talented, strong woman and I can't wait to work with her again. Avra was my cinematographer, as well as the only other real Jew on this project. I also met her as a Freshman, and she has changed in so many wonderful ways. I admire her tenacity and dedication to the project and to honest representation, and I appreciate her calling me out on my mistakes sometimes. She filmed even with an injured hand and did an amazing job regardless, if I do say so myself. Alexis wasn't able to help out with this project as much as she'd have liked due to end-of-term emergencies, but her presence and support were incredibly helpful to the production. I haven't known her very long, but I'm excited to work with her at a time where she can really show us all of the talent that I know she has. Also, the one and only Lauryn Iverson (I'll talk about her later in the post) makes an appearance in this film as Mia Rabinowitz. I love you, Lauryn!

  This film was a monster of a project that I was definitely not prepared for, but it's one I loved all the same. This took us, I think, a month to complete. It took three days of filming, two locations, three actors, three sets of costumes, four hours of baking, three trips to price chopper, and a lot of effort to make it happen, but we did it. Our biggest struggle was finding actors and in the end, we just pulled students from our video class, but I am glad that we did, because they all played the roles spectacularly. Now I have to move on to the next video so I don't run out of time but, as I'm sure you all can tell, I am spectacularly proud of this film.


The Presentation


  This project is one that I don't exactly remember making, like most of my projects from the beginning of the year. It's a short, one minute film about a failed group project powerpoint and attempts to change it before a presentation in front of their class. My team included Asya and Alexis again, as well as Ethan McCulloch, who also plays Elias Webber in the Good Old Boston film! It also, obviously, was directed by Sophia, my closest companion and only source of hope and warmth in the cold, empty wasteland that is the eCommunications program (That's what the kids call a ""Joke,"" I love this program).

  This took one day of filming, several presentations on the danger of VSCO girls, and a bit of work, but I think it turned out alright. I don't thing I was able to be there during filming, but I feel like I was, from all of the time that I spent editing this. Maybe I was, I can't remember, as mentioned earlier. Either way, I'm proud of this piece and how it turned out.


Film Reel


  I don't think this one requires a lot of explanation, but it's a really good piece that I'm excited about sharing. I worked on it myself, and it's a collection of the work that I'm proud of from my Junior year. This was made after I got permission to use any and all of my favorite artist Mal Blum's music from them personally, and I was excited to use it.

Nike Commercial


  I got too wordy with my other posts and have now ran out of time, but this is what it says on the tin! Made with Lauryn (I LOVE YOU SO MUCH LAURYN), Sophia, and Avra. Could have been longer.

THE END

See you all next year, when I'll have 2020 vision! You'll hear more from me then. Happy holidays everyone!

Comments

Popular Posts